Thursday, October 17, 2013

"Old NYC"

I first visited NYC in the summer of 1997. I remember it fondly and fell in love quickly. I know this will sound corny to most New Yorkers and I shouldn't even admit it...but I thought Times Square was the most amazing place ever! In all fairness it is still quite impressive,  but most street savvy New Yorkers know to steer clear of this tourist trap unless they work there. No...The NYC I began to know and love was the clean, PG-rated, Disney(esque), version. Some would argue that this homogenized NYC pales in comparison to the grittier, dirtier "Old NYC."  In the "Old NYC" there was a sense that anything could happen at anytime for anyone (including muggings and shootings)!  In the "New NYC" only the rich and elite really get to reap all of the benefits NYC has to offer (why do you think we are still renting here)!  While I most definitely prefer having children in the "New NYC"  I think the single and childless me would have enjoyed living in the edgier, artsier, "Old NYC." Take a look at some of these photos that were floating around the web and maybe you will see why. Besides if you could make it in NYC then you really could make it anywhere!

What I would give to be able to experience the subways in the 70's and 80's! The street or tunnel art would have been amazing!

Twin Towers in backdrop of this old train yard.

See, even this woman took the train...it couldn't have been that bad? Notice the tags everywhere!

Oh Soho...where did you go? This image is so hard to imagine today. Soho is about as commercial as it gets!

1 comment:

Please leave me a comment...I would love to hear your feedback!