Monday, November 11, 2013

Happy Veteran's Day to My Dad the Vietnam Vet!

My dad is the badass in the back far right. 


How cool is this! Yesterday my Dad sent me a photo he recently found of himself and his 'company' while stationed in Vietnam. Yes, that's right Vietnam!!! My Dad the Vietnam Veteran! He writes about the photo below:


'I was surfing the internet this morning looking up military stuff and decided to look up Firebases in Vietnam.  Firebase (LZ) Russell was one of the firebases we were on.   Each company would only spend a couple of weeks or so on a firebase running daily patrols out into the jungle.   Then they'd chopper the company (or walk) to some other desitination in the middle of the jungle to patrol.  Being on a firebase was considered 'good' duty.  The choppers could resupply the hill at will and they were relatively well protected because of the battery of 105's on the other firebases supporting you.  Out in the middle of the jungle, not so nice and much more dangerous.   Guys are smiling in most of these pictures just because they are on a firebase.
However Firebases Russell and Neville were both overrun on February 25, 1969.  (I arrived and joined the company mid April 1969)  I found a LZ Russell Assocation and it told the story of the battle plus it has dozens and dozens of pictures.   I started looking through all the pictures that were listed and found our two corpsman and others I knew.  Then, would you believe it, I found a picture that I was in.    How cool is that!
So if you go to     www.lzrussell.org/pictures     click on lz russell and it will show the pictures.   My picture is in the right hand column, 15 pictues down is my squad.  Charley Squad, 2nd plt, golf  2/4.   I'm at the right rear identified as unknown.   This was probably taken in April of 1969.   At first I didn't recognize myself.   But then I looked closer and you can see my   USMC tattoo  on my right arm.   If you go three pictures down (18) and one row to the left, you'll see our two platoon corpsman.  Know as 'goose' and 'weasel'.   The guy who took the group picture I'm in is 'goose', ie, Roger Hedges.'

So there you go! Happy Veteran's Day Dad! You were and always will remain a Hero in my eyes! 

I love you,

Jenny

1 comment:

  1. Hi, just saw your note under the picture of your dad's squad in Nam. Sorry, but can't recall his name, only the face. Do remember Gonzalez, Florez, Gettinger, and Devasier (Kentucky). I took that picture. I'm Roger Hedges (Goose). Sorry to say Weasel (Ron Lubitz) passed away several years ago, probably around 2005 in 29 Palms, CA. We were later stationed in Gitmo together. Jose Nevarez also passed I think in '85. I've seen John Wickert a couple of times. Lost his arm on LZ Pete. Now only in touch with Danny Wilcox (Bravo squad leader) near Dallas and Steve Pounder in Bandon, Oregon. How is your dad. Refresh me on his name. I've been trying since 2000 to write a book about Golf 2nd platoon (fictional) but much of it real. Just not much progress the last few years. So freaky to see this. How did he remember my name? Figured at this point he might recall Goose, but little else. By the way I have a CD with a lot of pictures from our time there. Your dad is probably in some more. Get back to me and I'd be glad to make another copy for him. Gave one to Pounder. Really look forward to hearing from you. Wow. Roger Hedges
    email: rhedges@sc.rr.com In Summerville, SC I'm not tech savvy so just email me please.

    ReplyDelete

Please leave me a comment...I would love to hear your feedback!