Wednesday, September 11, 2013

When are you officially a New Yorker?



Woody Allen: Classic (neurotic) New Yorker!


One of the best, life changing, decisions I ever made was moving to New York City. That decison was made 10 years ago this month! Since moving I have often wondered...Well...When am I an official New Yorker? One answer I received years ago has stuck with me...

I can't even recall who gave me such sage advice,  but I always use that response of 10 years as my litmus test. Recently I was told you're a New Yorker the minute you buy real estate in NYC...I guess in some circles that could be the case...but I say...you can't buy the title of New Yorker...er wait...this is NYC I guess you can! So in honor of my 10 year anniversary here are some of my favorite NYC related quotes. 

Traffic signals in New York are just rough guidelines.David Letterman


"I love New York City. The reason I live in New York City is because it's the loudest city on the planet Earth. It's so loud I 

never have to listen to any of the shit that's going on in my own head. It's really loud. They literally have guys come with jackhammers and they drill the streets and just leave cones in front of your apartment; you don't even know why. Garbage men come; they don't pick up the garbage, they just bang the cans together." Lewis Black

"When you leave New York, you are astonished at how clean the rest of the world is. Clean is not enough." Fran Lebowitz


Anytime four New Yorkers get into a cab together without arguing, a bank robbery has just taken place." Johnny Carson


"In New York you've got to have all the luck" Charles Bukowski


"There's something so romantic about being broke in New York. You gotta do it. You have to live there without any money, and then you have to live there when you have money. Let me tell you, of the two, the latter is far better." Amy Poehler


"I can't with any conscience argue for New York with anyone. It's like Calcutta. But I love the city in an emotional, irrational way, like loving your mother or your father even though they're a drunk or a thief. I've love the city my whole life, to me, it's like a great woman." Woody Allen


"I love New York even though it isn't mine, the way something has to be, a tree or a street or a house, something, anyway, that belongs to me because I belong to it." Truman Capote

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment...I would love to hear your feedback!