Monday, September 9, 2013

Christina's World


I was surprised to read that the house and landscape depicted in this image are from Maine. Upon first glance I was certain this beautiful work was inspired by the mighty plains of the Midwest. 
 
On the subway the other day I became entranced by this painting shown in an advertisement for the MoMA. Part of their permanent collection, Andrew Wyeth's, Christina's World depicts a girl stricken with polio glancing up at a grey house on the horizon. In 1948 when it was first exhibited it did not receive much attention from the critics...purchased by the founding director of the MoMA for $1800 it was quickly promoted and today stands as an icon of American Art and one of the most popular 20th century paintings to date. 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave me a comment...I would love to hear your feedback!